Wednesday, December 5, 2018

"I Am Lovable"

Oh, yeah... so this is the latest thing we're trying at therapy. Doc wants me to start with affirmations in an attempt to rewire my brain. I hate myself, have for some time, and her idea is to use affirmations to get my brain to rethink.

The brain has neural pathways. Over time, these pathways become well worn and easy for synapses to fire and connect. The problem comes when these pathways are making negative connections-- "I hate myself", "I'm no good", "I'm useless," etc. Pathways can become highways, expressways, or the Autobahn! Muscle memory is really neurological memory, the pathway is extremely well worn.

In the case of negative thinking, the path from something said or done to the thought of "I suck, etc" is well worn. In my case, as with many who have depression and other mental illnesses, its like riding a motorcycle flat out with no traffic on an empty highway!

The point of affirmations is to change the neurology of the brain. Instead of saying "I hate myself" I have to say "I am lovable" and mean it. This starts to slowly make a new path in the brain. At the moment... this just sounds stupid and corny! For the reason that it sounds stupid, my therapist wants me to repeat it. She showed me a collection of cards she has with affirmations on them. No lie... they have unicorns on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment